If you think you might have issues with infertility, even the thought of seeking out treatment can seem like too much effort. There are so many things you don’t know and will have to learn. So many phone calls and appointments and of course, the big worry: what will you find?
Take a deep breath. Think about it like anything you’re new at in life: you move into it with small, slow steps.
• Ask for a referral from your regular doctor. You can also call the specialist yourself, if you want to.
• Head to your first appointment. Feel free to come equipped with every question you can think of. Be prepared to discuss your health history, fertility history, and anything you already know from fertility testing or investigations in the past.
• Learn about treatment options. Your specialist will help you understand which might be most appropriate, and you might find others who have faced the same decisions you have to weigh.
• Develop a game plan. You probably can’t solve the problem overnight. Come up with a planin partnership with your doctor for what treatments you might try, timing, and what might be a backup.
• Call anytime — specialists and their nurses are a wealth of information and willing to walk you through any concerns, anything you can’t remember, or just be a source of comfort.
• Talk to someone in a support group or among friends or family. You’re likely to find others who are in the same place and they can walk your journey with you.
Your dreams to build a family might change shape, but are likely to come true. If you have any questions about what it could look like to have a baby, or are wondering what your next steps might be, please contact us anytime at 717-747-3099 or click on the button below.
Dr. Melanie Ochalski
P.S. If you would like to find out more about us instead of coming to visit during the busy holiday season, you can check out our free webinar here.